CJP offers internships for students from a variety of academic backgrounds.
CJP offers interns a real world experience on a wide variety of topics from data accessibility and transparency advocates to policy and research. CJP works with a variety of criminal justice stakeholders and in even a wider variety of communities. Our community engagement is what makes CJP different from other transparency projects. We are always looking for energetic and committed interns to assist us in our work.
- Conducting research on a variety of topics within the criminal justice system including anything from gun violence in Chicago to the how correctional institutions throughout the United States make data about their operations available to the public
- Working with policy makers on local and statewide issues regarding the criminal justice system and the Illinois Freedom of Information Act
- Assisting the Executive Director with tasks related to the general operations of the organization
- Spending a small portion of their time researching funding opportunities for specific projects
- Our internships are unpaid.
CJP prefers that students take the internship for credit with their departments but it is not mandatory.
- The student must possess good interpersonal skills and be comfortable interacting with a variety of people from different backgrounds.
- S/he should have strong analytical skills as well as research skills, proficient with Microsoft office, and must be comfortable working on their own.
- Previous experience working with large data sets a plus!
- The student should be interested in criminal justice, and previous knowledge of or experience with the criminal justice system is preferable.
Interns are required to dedicate between 12-20 hours during the school year and between 16-24 hours during the summer. Special accommodations can be made to fit the individual intern schedules if necessary.
CJP maintains a rolling deadline but prefers to have all interns start no later than the 2nd week of their semester or quarter.
To apply for an internship with CJP please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Your cover letter should state clearly why you are interested in interning with CJP and your interest in the criminal justice system.