CJP offers internships for students from a variety of academic backgrounds.
CJP offers interns a real world experience on a wide variety of topics from data accessibility and transparency advocates to policy and research. Our community engagement is what makes CJP different from other transparency projects. We are always looking for energetic and committed interns to assist us in our work.
- Conduct research on a variety of topics within the criminal justice system including gun violence in Chicago and how correctional institutions throughout the country make operational data available to the public
- Work with policy makers on local and statewide issues regarding the criminal justice system and the Illinois Freedom of Information Act
- Assist the Executive Director with tasks related to the general operations of the organization
- Spend a small portion of their time researching funding opportunities for specific projects
- All internships are virtual
- Our internships are unpaid
CJP prefers that students take the internship for credit with their departments but it is not mandatory.
- The student must possess good interpersonal skills and be comfortable interacting with a variety of people from different backgrounds.
- They should have strong analytical skills as well as research skills, and be proficient with Microsoft Office Products
- Must be comfortable working independently
- Previous experience working with large data sets a plus
- The student should be interested in criminal justice, and previous knowledge of or experience with the criminal justice system is preferable
Interns are required to dedicate between 12-20 hours during the school year and between 16-24 hours during the Summer. Special accommodations can be made to fit the individual intern schedule if necessary.
CJP maintains a rolling deadline, but prefers to have all interns start no later than the 2nd week of their semester or quarter.
To apply for an internship with CJP, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your cover letter should clearly state why you are interested in interning with CJP and include an overview of your interest in the criminal justice system.